Process Engineering is much complex discipline in the field of Chemical Engineering. This field will challenge you like anything. While operating the process plant you may encounter with plethora of problems that need immediate attention, without which the result won't be pleasing.As a young engineer coming straight out of college you will have the enthusiasm and energy to prove your self in the process filed. This kind of attitude is good but you are bound to do several mistakes in this period. Without knowing where to start and what to learn in the industry is the biggest dilemma that many of us are facing now a days. In order to proceed in this process field you should equip yourself with some special skills. These skills can be learn through several courses that are available to all now a days.
Here are the top 5 courses for entry level process engineers that are helpful for career progression.
1. Process Simulation Software Course
Process simulation software like Aspen Hysys, CHEMCAD,PRO II, HTRI etc., are very helpful in solving real time problems in process industry. With the help of these simulation software you can do
- Optimization of a given process
- Equipment sizing
- Cost estimation
- Process modelling
- Estimation of mixture properties at various given conditions like P,V,T etc.,
|Image Source : Google/AspenTech|
Here are some of the institutes that are offering Process Simulation software course in India.
2. Health, Safety and Environment Course
Here are some HSE course qualifications that are available to learn
- NEBOSH - National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health UK
- National Safety Council, USA
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, UK
- Institute of occupational Safety and Health, UK
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration, OSHA
In India you can find HSE courses at
- HSEI Institute - Kerla, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Environment, Health & Safety Management (IIEHSM)
- NIST Institute
- NIFS - National Institute of Fire Engineering and Safety Management
3. Process Engineering Course
Chemical Engineering will give you a glimpse of what is what and whats happening in a process industry. But the real challenge is designing a process industry itself. It involves sizing of various equipment like vessels, reactors, heat exchangers, absorbers, distillation columns, piping, pumps etc., Designing of relief valves, knock out vessels, decanters, two phase line sizing, project organization and various types of diagrams like PFD, P&ID is not common thing and we don't learn those things in our college life. So in order to be a complete process design engineer its better to pursue this course. Following are some of the institutes that are offering process engineering course in India.
- MIT Skills - Pune
- Chemsys - Chennai
- Mecci Engineers - Noida
- Smart Brains - Hyderabad, Noida, Pune, Vadodara
- Magnus Global Tech Education - Bangalore
4. Microsoft Excel for Engineers Course
Microsoft Excel is a not just a application to fill some tabular columns and generating some charts based on the data, in real process world it is more than that. In a process industry you will deal with many kind of reports like Daily production report, Steam balance report, Management Information System (MIS) report, downtime report, vendor evaluation etc., Also you will encounter with various calculations which are to be done quickly yet repeatedly. This can be better handled in Microsoft Excel. In Microsoft Excel you can do the complex calculations by using various mathematical, accounting functions. Also if you master Macros in excel you can literally do anything in Excel if you give sufficient data to Excel for processing. You can learn this course either online or offline. here are some of the best resources which I came across the internet for learning Microsoft Excel.